About me!

My name is Michelle Brown and I live on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia. I started teaching in 1999. I am a secondary high school teacher primarily teaching science and maths. I am a specialist chemistry teacher, but have also taught biology. I have taught middle school science from year seven to ten.

I graduated from Nambour State High School in 1990 and completed a Bachelor of Applied Science at QUT (Gardens Point Campus) in 1993. I was accepted into the honours program with a project about overcoming endogenous bacteria in Neem plant tissue culture. However, I didn’t start this as I was offered a job at ForBio Research in  Mt Gravatt, which later moved to Indooroopilly. I worked there as a reseach assistant for two years, mapping the chromosomes of eucalyptus and pine trees.

I then completed a Certificate in Trade Cookery at TAFE and worked at the Big Pineapple in the two restaurants preparing and serving food for two years. I missed my science, prompting me to complete a Postgraduate Diploma in Education through Monash University (by distance education, I do not recommend this at all). While I was doing this I continued working at the Big Pineapple and then at Noosa District State High School as a lab technician. I would recommend that all science teachers do this just so you can understand how important a job it is in a school and how important it is to help them as much as possible by teaching students good lab practices.

I started teaching at Sunshine Beach State High School, then Mirani State High School, then Tullawong State High School, then Sunshine Coast Grammar School (my first independent school) and currently Immanuel Lutheran College.

I am very interested in how to use technology better in the classroom and also how to go about preparing students for a 50% external exam based on the whole years work at the end of year 12. This is what is being implemented by QCAA at the start of 2019. This is going to require a completely new way of teaching and I wish to share my research with other educators in Queenslanders who have not taught this way before. Share my journey with me.

print